Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Ash Wednesday

It's Ash Wednesday, my wife and I got up an went to church and got ashes on our foreheads. It was quite good.

You walk up to the altar and the priest says "Remember you are dust, and to dust you shall return."

My wife reminded me about what Tina Fey said about Ash Wednesday on SNL: "This past Wednesday was Ash Wednesday, the holiday during which Catholics mark the beginning of Lent by creeping out their coworkers. "

Tina Fey is some funny lady.

So Ash Wednesday. Lent begins. I am going to continue abstaining from alcohol as a sacrifice for Lent. I like the ritual of 'giving something up' for Lent. It seems to help strengthen my personal discipline.

What I don't like is the 'pie in the sky' reward of eternal life the Catholic Church promises in return for your subjugation. Supplication. Do you know what I'm saying?

No comments:

Post a Comment